Most people go to yoga class to improve their flexibility, or to get a better butt. And yet, many yoga instructors encourage students to connect with their inner selves, and learn to let go of all the things that hold us back from being happy and peaceful. The yoga masters of the past understood that if you don’t take care of yourself on the inside, you will struggle finding contentment and equanimity. To help you cultivate more serenity and tranquillity inside and out, we’ve compiled 32 inspiring yoga quotes on peace.
Our Favorite Inspirational Quotes on Yoga and Peace
- The mind can go in a thousand directions, but on this beautiful path, I walk in peace. With each step, the wind blows. With each step, a flower blooms. — Thich Nhat Hanh
- Better indeed is knowledge than mechanical practice. Better than knowledge is meditation. But better still is surrender of attachment to results, because there follows immediate peace. — Bhagavad Gita
- The more regular and the more deeply you meditate, the sooner you will find yourself acting always from a centre of inner peace . — J. Donald Walters
- The yoga pose is not the goal. Becoming flexible is not the goal. Standing on your hands is not the goal. The goal is serenity. Balance. Truly finding peace in your own skin. ― Rachel Brathen
- Fewer the thoughts, greater the peace. ― Sivananda Saraswati
- Existence becomes futile if you cannot find happiness. When wealth is lost, you have lost a little; when health is lost, you have lost something of more consequence; but when peace of mind is lost, you have lost the highest treasure. — Paramahansa Yogananda
- Meditation is silence, energising and fulfilling. Silent is the eloquent expression of the inexpressible. — Sri Chinmoy
- When life is foggy, the path is unclear and mind is dull, remember your breath. It has the power to give you the peace. It has the power to resolve the unsolved equations of life. — Amit Ray
- Undisturbed calmness of mind is attained by cultivating friendliness toward the happy, compassion for the unhappy, delight in the virtuous, and indifference toward the wicked. — Yoga Sutras
- Fearlessness presupposes calmness and peace of mind. — Mahatma Gandhi
- Greed, lust, jealousy, envy, anger, pride and egoism are the enemies of peace. Slay these enemies by the sword of dispassion, discrimination, and non-attachment. You will enjoy perpetual peace. — Swami Sivananda
- Learn to calm down the winds of your mind, and you will enjoy great inner peace. — Remez Sasson
- Inner peace begins the moment you choose not to allow another person or event to control your emotions. — Pema Chodron
- The primary aim of yoga is to restore the mind to simplicity, peace, and poise, to free it from confusion and distress. ― B.K.S. Iyengar
- We all wish for world peace, but world peace will never be achieved unless we first establish peace within our own minds. — Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
- When we meditate, we have to feel that we are entering into something vast and infinite: the vast ocean or the infinite blue sky. We are trying to plunge into something boundless and measureless. All around us is the infinite blue sky where peace is reigning supreme. — Sri Chinmoy
- Chasing after the world brings chaos. Allowing it all to come to me, brings peace. — Zen Gatha
- In our uniquely human capacity of connecting movement with breath, peace and spiritual meaning, yoga is born. — Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa
- I will be calmly active, actively calm. I am a prince of peace, sitting on the throne of poise, directing the kingdom of my activity. — Paramahansa Yogananda
- Yoga is the golden key that unlocks the door to peace, tranquility, and joy. ― B.K.S. Iyengar
- Yoga is a way to freedom. By its constant practice, we can free ourselves from fear, anguish and loneliness. — Indra Devi
- Nothing can bring you peace, but yourself. Nothing can bring you peace, but the victory over your lower self, triumph over your senses and mind, desires and cravings. If you have no peace within yourself, it is vain to seek it in external objects and outward sources. — Swami Sivananda
- Peace is our very nature, and yoga leads you to inner peace. — Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
- When we understand clearly that inner peace is the real source of happiness, and how, through spiritual practice, we can experience progressively deeper levels of inner peace, we will develop tremendous enthusiasm to practice. — Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
- Yoga allows you to find an inner peace that is not ruffled and riled by the endless stresses and struggles of life. ― B.K.S. Iyengar
- But the self—controlled man, moving among objects, with his senses under restraint, and free from both attraction and repulsion, attains peace. — Chinmayananda Saraswati
- If you seek peace, be still. If you seek wisdom, be silent. If you seek love, be yourself. — Becca Lee
- When we are mindful, deeply in touch with the present moment, our understanding of what is going on deepens, and we begin to be filled with acceptance, joy, peace and love. — Thich Nhat Hanh
- Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible. — Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
- Change yourself and you have done your part in changing the world. Every individual must change his own life if he wants to live in a peaceful world. The world cannot become peaceful unless and until you yourself begin to work toward peace. — Paramahansa Yogananda
- In meditation you first get sense control. And yoga will help you with the body and when the mind is steady, concentration will come automatically. When you get such concentration, then you get peace of mind. — Sathya Sai Baba
- The nature of the Soul is bliss, peace, unchanging. We have not to get it, we have it; only wash away the dross and see it. — Swami Vivekananda
How to Use Inspirational Quotes in Your Yoga Practice
Quotes are powerful tools you can use to inspire yourself to action. Each quote is a bite-sized nugget of potent wisdom, often presented in a poetic or otherwise memorable way. Here are a few practical ways to incorporate these inspirational quotes on yoga and peace into your practice:
- Print out the list of quotes and post them wherever you might need a reminder to cultivate peacefulness in your daily life or in your yoga and meditation practice.
- Create an intention card or small piece of artwork featuring a quote and place it on your personal altar or in your practice space.
- Share your favorite quotes on social media to build communal support for your expression and use of Bhakti and love in your yoga practices.
- Read a few quotes before you practice yoga or meditation to set an intention or mood for your practice.
- Use a quote as the seed thought for deep contemplation or journaling.
Share your quotes with us
Are there any other quotes on yoga and peace that have encouraged and supported you to create and maintain tranquillity and equanimity? We’d love to hear them, so please post them in the comments below!